STORM ATIYAH

The "first of the winter storms is on its way." and it's official - the Met Office says so. Ah, don't you just love the good old British winter traditions? Guy Fawkes, Christmas, New Year, the first of the winter storms...huh?
Oh yes, in case you missed it, in 2014 the climate hysterics  scientific geniuses at the Met Office decided to name storms in order to exaggerate "humanise " them. Not at all to publicise them, draw attention to them, big 'em up in the hope of persuading us that storms are new and deadly and -duh- climate change will kill us all. A tradition all of five years old, then.
So this week's big news is that storm ATIYAH is on its way, the first of the not-at-all-political storms of 2019/20. Now, me being a bit dim, my first thought was: Atiyah - that doesn't sound much like a British name by any stretch of the imagination.   
But then, me being also a bit bright, it occurred to me that it might be a Muslim name, because diversity, because inclusion, don't you know. So I googled 'Atiyah name' and the first thing up was a wkipedia entry which you can see here...
...very inclusive I'm sure you'll agree. There's nothing like a storm which commemorates an al-Qaeda communist activist to get winter off to a bang, especially just a few days after an Islamic terror attack on London Bridge.
But maybe I was jumping to conclusions, so I clicked into wikipedia's next Atiyah link  to give it another shot, and I got this...

I'm sure we can all agree that's an interesting and diverting list of characters, although not particularly diverse, unless the word "diverse" actually means "Middle Eastern" which perhaps it does, come to think of it. That would explain what politicians mean when they say they want Britain to be more "diverse". 
So storm Atiyah is very much a step in the right direction. isn't it? Or am I missing something?

Ian Andrew-Patrick   


Comments

More from 99EndOf